Opal is a novel and interesting gemstone that has been utilized in jewelry for millennia. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is each lovely and crowd pleasing. Opals undoubtedly deserve a spot in your jewelry assortment, however what do you actually find out about them?
On this article, we’ll discover the historical past of opal jewelry, how opals are shaped, and how one can look after opal jewelry to make sure that it stays wanting lovely for years to return.
Let’s get began …
How are Opals Shaped?
The method begins when silica-rich water seeps down into cracks and crevices within the Earth’s crust. Over time, the water evaporates, abandoning a deposit of silica. As this course of repeats, layer upon layer of silica builds up, ultimately forming a strong mineral deposit that we all know as opal.
The method can take anyplace from 5 million to twenty million years, relying on the particular circumstances and elements concerned. The result’s a novel and exquisite gemstone with a definite play of color, created by the best way gentle refracts via the layers of silica.
Not all opals function the iridescence and play of color seen significantly in Australian opals, however as an alternative have extra of a strong colouring which could be white, yellow, pink, orange, crimson and even black.
The Historical past of Opal Jewelry
Opals have been utilized in jewelry for hundreds of years, with a few of the earliest examples relationship again to historical Greece and Rome. Within the Center Ages, opals have been believed to have magical powers, they usually have been extremely prized by royalty and the rich.
By the nineteenth century, opal jewelry was turning into extra broadly obtainable, and it turned a preferred alternative for engagement rings and different special day jewelry.
Within the twentieth century, opal jewelry turned much more well-liked and right now it stays a preferred alternative for jewelry lovers right now. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is a good way so as to add some color and character to your jewelry assortment.
About Australian Opals
Australia is understood for producing a few of the finest opals in the world, with over 95% of the world’s provide of opals coming from the nation.
The primary opal was found in Australia within the 1840s, but it surely wasn’t till the late 1800s that opal mining started in earnest. The primary business opal mine opened in White Cliffs, New South Wales in 1890, and shortly after, different deposits have been present in areas corresponding to Coober Pedy, Lightning Ridge and Andamooka.
Opal mining in Australia remains to be largely a small-scale business, with lots of the mines being family-run operations. Nevertheless, there are additionally bigger mining corporations that make use of a whole bunch of individuals and produce important quantities of opal annually.
At the moment, Australian opals are extremely wanted by collectors, jewelry designers and jewelry lovers world wide. With their distinctive and charming play of color, Australian opals proceed to be a very talked-about alternative for these on the lookout for a particular and exquisite gemstone.
How you can Look after Opal Jewelry
Opals are comparatively delicate and require a little bit of particular care to maintain them wanting their greatest. Listed below are some ideas for caring on your opal jewelry:
- Opal is kind of a comfortable gemstone, so retailer your opal jewelry individually from different jewelry to keep away from scratches and injury. Mushy material pouches or jewelry packing containers are perfect for storage of valuable jewelry.
- Clear your opal jewelry usually to take away filth and oil buildup. To scrub opal jewelry, merely wash it in heat soapy water, rinse and dry completely. Try our complete jewelry cleansing information for extra ideas.
- Keep away from getting your opal jewelry moist usually or for prolonged durations, particularly if the opals are doublets or triplets which have synthetic backings. We suggest taking it off when showering or swimming. In case your opal jewelry will get moist, it’s best to dry it rapidly and completely to forestall injury.
- For top worth opal jewelry, we suggest having your items professionally inspected and cleaned periodically to make sure that it stays in high situation.
- Keep away from exposing opal jewelry to harsh chemical substances, corresponding to bleach and cleansing brokers, as these can injury the gemstone. Take care if utilizing chemical cleaners on valuable metallic which has opals set into it: clear across the stones as greatest you possibly can and you’ll want to rinse and dry completely while you’re carried out.
- By no means expose opal jewelry to excessive temperature adjustments, as this could trigger the gemstone to crack or develop into discoloured. Specifically do not use a steam cleaner on opals.
Add Some Lovely Opal Jewelry to your Assortment
Opal jewelry is an exquisite and distinctive alternative of gemstone for jewelry lovers. Whether or not you are on the lookout for a special day piece or simply an intriguing and subtly vibrant addition to your assortment, opals are a really particular choice.
At Simone Walsh Jewelry we have now a collection of inexpensive opal jewelry, together with some small and exquisite Australian opals, Mexican hearth opals and strong color variants in pinks, yellows and whites.
Try our opal jewelry vary, together with our full gemstone jewelry assortment. We’re certain you will discover one thing you’re keen on.