It’s formally bug season and I’m scrambling to search out pure methods to repel all of the bugs thriving from the wetness Could left behind. The summer season months are forward of us and pure citronella oil is an absolute should. Utilizing fully pure components, let’s enterprise into the great world of candle making and defend our outside house the pure means with DIY citronella candles! These pesky mosquitoes aren’t any match for these highly effective insect repellent candles!
We dwell in Oklahoma and our state is notorious for allergic reactions and bugs. There are screens on each window as a result of there isn’t a means you may permit a gateway for bugs to affix your family. If mosquitos are an issue in your neck of the woods, you’ll wish to take into account making these DIY citronella candles. Plus, I’ll offer you a number of extra recommendations on keep bug free this summer season!
Why Make DIY Citronella Candles?
Making your individual DIY citronella candles is a good suggestion for a number of causes. One, it’s inventive and enjoyable. Received’t you get a way of pleasure burning do-it-yourself candles? Additionally, they create ambiance. Candle mild on the patio, a glass of wine, good music-it’s a vibe that’s for positive! The largest cause is they supply safety in opposition to mosquitos. Whereas they aren’t the best bug repellent you may use, they’re value utilizing and supply a minimum of one layer of safety. I wish to put on THESE non-toxic bands in addition to maintain my do-it-yourself bug spray shut. Whereas training all three habits, you need to have the ability to have an fulfilling time open air.
A few years in the past I wrote a put up on a DIY Bug Repellent recipe and likewise a Bug Chew Balm. I talked in regards to the risks of typical bug sprays and pressured that squirting copious quantities of bug repellent time and again is extremely poisonous. Over time I’ve made a number of new batches of my bug repellent and have already put it to good use however I’ve at all times needed to make my very own citronella candles as a result of I LOVE candles and who doesn’t want as a lot safety as they will get with these dang mosquitos!
You may also like my citronella bug repellent cubes as effectively! These candle wax melts are easy to make and require no wick!
First, a number of issues about Citronella Important Oil…
Citronella oil is a well-liked and efficient pure mosquito repellent. It’s additionally a superb soother for bug bites! It’s a potent anti fungal in addition to antibacterial and antiseptic.
In a 2011 difficulty of Tropical Medicine & International Health, an evaluation of 11 research on the capabilities of citronella oil discovered that the important oil probably supplied as much as three hours of safety in opposition to mosquitoes.
Citronella oil repels mosquitos by blocking the scent of people that pulls them.
Second, a number of issues about beeswax candles…..
Do you know that beeswax truly purifies the air? Beeswax releases NEGATIVE IONS into the air very like diffusing important oils does. Air pollution like smoke, dander, pollen, mud and dust carry a POSITIVE cost. The unfavourable beeswax ions connect to the optimistic pollution and mainly wrestle them to the bottom to the place they’re inactive!
Burning beeswax candles will be extraordinarily useful for these of you affected by allergic reactions and bronchial asthma! In case you are burning pure beeswax candles, it solely takes a pair hours of burning to assist clear the air!
For extra detailed step-by-step (with image) directions, confer with my put up on make beeswax candles.
What You’ll Want for DIY Citronella Candles:
- 1/2 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 lb. Beeswax
- 1 ounce (600 drops) Citronella Important Oil
- Glass containers or jars on your candles.
- Lead Free Wicks
- garments pins
- A medium sized pot
- A glass pyrex bowl with spout
- A cookie sheet
- Put together the empty containers by utilizing a sizzling glue gun to connect the candle wick within the backside of the jar or glass candle holder and steadying it with a garments pin.
- Place your ready glass candle holders within the oven at 170 levels.
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium sized pot 1/2 means full with water, place a glass pyrex bowl within the water.
- Pour beeswax and coconut oil in a glass bowl and permit to completely soften. Hold your range prime on low-medium warmth.
- Take away glass bowl from warmth and add 80-100 drops of Citronella to the wax.
- Pour sizzling wax into glass containers. I used to be in a position to make 5 candles from 1 lb. of wax. You possibly can see the sizes from my footage.
- Regular the wicks and let the wax cool, ideally in a heat (170F) oven. (see why under)
- Trim your wicks. (1/2 inch from the wax)
- Permit to set for 48 hours in an effort to remedy earlier than lighting.
- Purchase low-cost citronella important oil. There isn’t any must go along with a top quality model.
- We aren’t making use of it to our pores and skin and we’re utilizing rather a lot. I used THIS oil.
- You probably have a bunch of outdated candles mendacity round and even candles that you simply did not burn fully, you may soften the wax and use them on this recipe. Beeswax is after all a more healthy possibility however I at all times like to repurpose objects in my house that I not use! Skip the coconut oil in case you are utilizing already made candles.
- Should you desire to skip the beeswax, you need to use soy wax as an alternative. Skip the coconut oil if you happen to do.
Candle Making Suggestions and Methods:
- Warmth your glass candle containers within the oven on low (170 levels Fahrenheit) whereas your beeswax melts on the range prime. This can permit little or no “shock” to the beeswax whereas it’s being poured into the containers which is able to stop cracking. I put mine on a cookie sheet for simple elimination.
- When you’ve poured the wax into your candle containers, permit your candles to chill within the oven at 170 levels Fahrenheit along with your oven door barely ajar. This can stop cracking as effectively. You should definitely carry on cookie sheet!!
- Cleansing up after beeswax will be an inconceivable process. I recommend you both use a disposable container to soften your coconut oil and beeswax in, or you may put your glass bowl within the oven, permit the remaining beeswax to fully soften, then wipe it out with a paper towel. It’s the one means I’ve discovered to scrub up.
- When first lighting your candles, at all times level the flame on the backside of the wick in order that your candle will burn accurately.
- The primary time you burn your candle, be certain you may have sufficient time to let it burn lengthy sufficient for the wax to soften evenly on the highest of the candle. That is essential with any candle and helps “practice” your candle to not tunnel. (see under for extra recommendations on avoiding tunneling)
- Don’t get in a rush when melting your beeswax. Should you soften your wax in too excessive a temp, you may render the beeswax ineffective. Hold the range prime on low-medium warmth.
- Don’t add your important oils whereas the warmth continues to be on the wax. If the wax is simply too sizzling, the oil will fritter away and likewise be ineffective.
Associated Publish: Important Oil Spider Spray
Additional Useful Tricks to Hold Mosquitos Away:
- As talked about above, THESE bands are nice. They’re low-cost, comfy and straightforward to move out at events.
- Plant lemon balm and/or citronella round your patio or have been you want to hang around. These vegetation add an additional layer of safety in opposition to annoying bugs. Citronella is a “tender perennial” so if you happen to don’t have a tough winter, it more than likely will come again every spring. Lemon Balm can also be a perennial and a bit extra hardy.
- Drop a number of additional drops of important oil on the floor of your candles earlier than lighting.
- Lemon Eucalyptus oil is one other pure oil that works effectively in opposition to mosquitos and can be utilized in a diffuser open air.
- Burn citronella incense whereas outdoors.
- Examine round your patio house for any standing/stagnant water. You’d be stunned how eliminating water round your sitting space could make an enormous distinction.
Hassle Taking pictures Candle Tunneling
Selfmade beeswax candles, whereas straightforward to make, are laborious to get proper. As you may see from my pics, my candles are tunneling (when the wax solely burns down the center of the candle).
I’ve found out a number of methods to maintain your candles from tunneling and deal with it intimately in my make beeswax candles put up. I’ll inform you right here that it’s crucial that you simply “practice” your candles the primary time you mild them. This implies, you allow them to burn lengthy sufficient that the wax melts all the best way to the outer edges of the container. Beeswax candles have a tendency to wish some assist with this so I’d recommend you employ foil to assist. See image under.
Additionally, don’t be afraid to make use of 2 wicks in a single container. I’m discovering that solely votives work with 1 wick. Something bigger wants 2 if not 3 wicks.
Have enjoyable with this enjoyable do-it-yourself citronella candle recipe! This 12 months, we’d like all the assistance we are able to get outdoors!
You may also get pleasure from my tutorial for making soy candles.
Making your individual do-it-yourself citronella candles is an effective way to salvage these summer season nights spent outdoors. They’re straightforward to make and comparatively inexpensive. I feel THESE jars are a terrific dimension to make fairly a number of candles to maintain readily available to deliver as hostess presents to barbecues!